Most people blame their failure in MLM on their upline, their company, the industry, their dog, or any other circumstance but themselves. Rather than “man up” and accept responsibility for their own actions (or inactions), they want to make excuses and blame others.
While you might be struggling with your current company, there are also many distributors who are achieving success with the same company. So you can’t blame the company for your failure. In addition, there are millions of people who make a “part-time” income in the industry and many others who make a full-time income. So, the industry does work.
It’s a common fact that more than 9 out of every 10 business fail (traditional world and MLM). When you study the successful businesses, you discover trends. The same holds true with failing businesses. When it comes to the MLM industry, it’s said that we have a 97% failure rate. I don’t know if that’s 100% true or not, but it’s probably pretty close.
When I study the people that fail in our industry, I quickly notice patterns and trends. In the paragraphs below, I would like to share some of these trends with you, so you can learn the common mistakes and hopefully avoid them. Let’s get started.
1. You Aren’t Being Consistent: Without a doubt, the single greatest reason people struggle in this industry is because they don’t do the work. They think about their business all the time, but they don’t do the work. You must plan your work, be disciplined and be consistent. You must work on your business every day, every week, every month, and never stop. Wishing your way to success won’t get you there. Instead, you have to work your way to success.
2. You Don’t Have a Game Plan: The next common reason people struggle with their MLM Company is because they don’t have a concrete, written game plan. They don’t have any written goals, and they don’t know what they need to do to reach their goals. At a minimum, you need a simple business plan and a marketing plan. These documents should be written down on paper, viewed daily, and updated frequently. Any time you have a question about what to do, you simply can refer to these documents to find out.
3. You Don’t Have Upline Support: This is another common reason for failure in MLM. The person you partner up with is just as important as the company you join. You need an upline who has the time, money and resources to help you get started. You need someone who will match your effort. You need a sponsor who has a game-plan and is willing to help you. Without a good sponsor, or upline support, you limit your chance of success. *** Disclaimer: This does not mean it’s your upline’s job to build your business for you. It just means that you need a mentor.
4. You Aren’t Doing The Right Tasks: Sorting files in your office, checking email and reading your product catalog are not productive tasks. The only productive tasks are (1) prospecting, (2) generating leads, (3) scheduling appointments, (4) giving presentations, (5) following up, (6) sponsoring new team members, (7) training and helping your team and (8) finding customers. All other activities come secondary. You should spend 90% of your available time on these 8 tasks.
5. You Don’t Have The Right Skills: Another common reason for failure in this industry is skill-set. Let’s face it, you will probably need to go through a learning curve, before you will master your MLM Skills. If you don’t have any experience in this industry, or as an entrepreneur, it will probably take you a few years to develop the skill-set you need to succeed. This holds true with any type of business. Unfortunately, few people are willing to stick around long enough to develop this skill-set.
6. You Have The Wrong Mindset
Your mindset is very important. It’s a proven fact that entrepreneurs think differently than employees. You need to reprogram your thoughts, start thinking positively, be results oriented, and develop a vision. You should read books, listen to tapes, attend mentors and find a coach. Put something positive into your brain every day. Be a student of your business and learn everything you can about network marketing, sales, marketing, leadership and entrepreneurship.
In summary, these are the six most common reasons that people struggle in their MLM Business. Remember, the only way to fail in MLM is to quit. If you don’t quit, you won’t fail. You might struggle for a while, but if you stick with it you will eventually succeed. You simply need to set some goals, develop a plan of attack, find a mentor and then get BUSY doing the work! Within a few short years of part-time effort you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your MLM Business.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below and let us know.
To Your Success,
(352) 503-4816 home office
P.S. Let’s build a BIG team together. I know marketing and I can help you get leads. Check out my team’s exclusive postcard marketing system to build a big downline with our natural and organic products company.