Today I want to share some of the most common blogging mistakes that network marketers make. I’m sure these tips apply to any blogger from any niche, not just network marketers.
# 1 Doing What Everyone Else Does
Without a doubt, the greatest mistake that most network marketing bloggers make is doing what everyone else does. They write articles about similar subjects that everyone else is writing about. They summarize what others are saying. They take the same view points. They follow the trends in the industry. Simply put, they play it safe. Their blog is similar to every other network marketing blog out there. Their blog competes for the same keywords, uses the same videos and pictures and covers similar subjects. As a result, their blog is AVERAGE.
To succeed with your blog, you need to be different. You need a way to stand out in the crowd. There are many ways to do this. For example, I write about successful distributors and do product reviews. Not many people are doing that. I also do interviews. I also use a no HYPE and no B.S. writing style that a lot of people relate to.
I suggest you think of ways to stand out in the crowd and be different. Look at what everyone else is doing and do the opposite. One of the easiest ways to do this is to study blogs OUTSIDE of our industry to see how they do things. Or, visit 50 popular MLM Blogs and write down what they are doing. After you’ve compiled a list, brainstorm ideas on how you could be different.
# 2 Not Blogging Enough
Another mistake network marketing bloggers make is not blogging enough. They publish a blog post once a week or even twice a week and think that’s enough. I believe you should post something every day, minimum five days a week and preferably seven days a week. The more you can post the better. You can schedule your posts out so you don’t have to blog every day, but you can still have a new post published every day.
People simply won’t take you seriously if you don’t post often. Your readers want good content on a regular basis. So do the search engines. If you don’t want to do all of the writing yourself you can hire people to write for you. Yes, quality is more important than quantity. Ultimately, you want both!
# 3 Giving Up to Soon
Most bloggers give up way to soon. They expect to achieve great results in one year or less. That’s a big mistake. For most people it will take 2-3 years of blogging daily to really see the results. It took me almost four years on my military blog to start getting lots of traffic. Most people give up way before that. You need discipline. You need to finish what you start. Eventually, you will build up the momentum and the snowball will get rolling.
I’d bet that close to 80-90% of ALL blogs online (in any niche) haven’t been updated in at least four months or more. Everyone starts out excited (sound familiar?) but usually stops blogging within 90 days of starting. Once they realize how hard it is to get big success, they quit (sound familiar?). The point is this. You must have a vision for what you want to accomplish with your network marketing blog and you must keep pressing forward UNTIL you succeed. You must never quit. Good things take time.
# 4 Too Many Affiliate Links
Another mistake a lot network marketing bloggers make is they have to many affiliate links on their blog. When you visit their blog you are inundated with affiliate links. There are so many affiliate links, advertisements and banner ads that the experience becomes negative and people leave your blog by hitting the back arrow.
Don’t make that mistake. Only promote a few affiliate links on each page (at most). And when you do, use text links, not banner ads. In addition, you should have a “money page” where you have everything you recommend in one place.
The bottom line is to keep your network marketing blog clutter free. Make it easy to navigate and try to eliminate the distractions. Always think of your blog visitor’s experience when you do your blog layout.
Here are a few additional blogging mistakes that I would like to put on my honorable mention list.
- Not using videos – Using videos improves your user experience. Many folks can’t read or don’t like to read. Having content in multiple formats is always a good option.
- Not optimizing your blog properly – Learning SEO and optimizing your blog with the right keywords, meta tags, keyword density and headings is very important.
- Thinking of yourself as a blogger, not as an internet marketer – If you have a blog, you are really an internet marketer, whether you realize it or not. If you think of yourself as a blogger, you are leaving lots of money on the table.
- Not building your list – The money is in the list. Make sure that you build a list from day one. Do everything you legally can to collect names and emails and communicate with your list often.
- Not promoting your blog effectively – Make sure that you set aside a marketing budget for your blog. Spend more time promoting your blog than you do writing posts and updating your blog.
These are the most common network marketing blogging mistakes as I see it. If you’re trying to build your business online you should have your own blog. It really is a must.
But you can’t just have a blog and expect to succeed. You need a game plan. You need to work daily. You need to be persistent. You need to be different than every other blogger online. And you must think long-term. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Your blog will take time to succeed, probably three or more years.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment and let us know. I look forward to hearing from you.
My Suggested Tools & Resources
- Join the Right MLM Company at the Right Time. Work with a Top Producer!
- Want to Make Money Online? Learn How to Build Your Own Successful Website or Blog.
- Need a Marketing System? I Use This System to Recruit 10-20 New Reps Most Months.
- Start a Mail Order Business! Mail Postcards & Make Money. Request a FREE Info Kit.