In today’s post, I’d like to share some of my favorite MLM Cold Calling Tips. I truly believe that cold calling can be a very effective way to grow your network marketing business. Utilizing the phone is very time effective. It’s a simple and quick way to get a hold of prospects and share what you have to offer.
As a quick DISCLAIMER, you need to be aware of the DO NOT CALL laws, so you don’t get yourself in trouble with the FCC. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to research the law first to find out what you can and cannot do. In addition, I recommend you follow the advice mentioned below.
1. Don’t Use a Script: I’m not a big fan of scripts. When you read something to your prospect, you sound like a sales person. You want your conversation to be conversational. You want to sound natural, as if you are having a conversation with someone. If you have a script, review it ahead of time to learn the key points, but don’t use it during the call.
2. Don’t Give a Business Presentation: Remember the purpose of your call is to find out if your prospect is interested in viewing/seeing additional information, not to give them a complete detailed business presentation. Once you find out they are interested in getting more information you have two options. You can email them a business presentation to watch. Or, you can schedule a follow up appointment with them to do a phone presentation with them. But whatever you do, don’t try to explain your business to them in detail right then. The purpose of your call is to book an appointment to give a complete presentation at a future date. Never forget that.
3. Call People During the Day When They Are at Work: Another helpful tip is to call people during the day, while they are at work. That way you can leave a message on their answering machine, work smarter, and have interested people call you back. Besides, if you call people at night, there’s a good chance you might interrupt them at dinner and upset them. And if everyone is home when you call them, you will get lots of rejection and make less calls. Since cold calling is a numbers game, this is the approach I would use.
4. Be Friendly, No Matter What: Don’t come across as overconfident, rude or cocky. Be a professional at all times. Treat people with respect, whether they are interested in what you have to offer, or not. If people ask not to be called again, make sure you don’t call them again.
5. Qualify Your Prospect as Quickly as Possible: Another helpful tip is to qualify your prospect as quickly as possible. Introduce yourself, tell them why you are calling, and find out if they might be interested in what you have to offer. If they aren’t interested in learning more, end the conversation on a positive note and move on to the next call. This will save you lots of time.
6. Don’t Talk too Much: One of the best ways to control a conversation is to ask questions. Get the other person talking about themselves. Ask them provocative questions that relate to your products or business opportunity, and then be quiet and listen to what they have to say. When you ask questions, you are in control!
7. Call Other Networkers and Business Owners: A lot of people wonder WHO you should call. I think you should call current and former network marketers and people who might be interested in using your products. You can buy lead lists from many different companies. You can also buy genealogy lists from defunct network marketing companies. Whatever you do, set a clearly defined target market, and focus on them. If you just call random people, you won’t get anywhere near the results that you could have gotten.
8. Stay Persistent: You won’t achieve immediate success by cold calling people. You have to work the numbers. Make it a goal to call 10 to 50 people a day, every day, for a year. If you call 10 people a day for a year, that is 3,650 people. Call 20 people a day for a year and it’s 7,300 people. If you can stay disciplined and keep doing it every day, you will get pretty decent results. Also, as you make more calls, your confidence and phone skills will improve, which will help you convert more people into leads, customers and distributors.
9. Track Your Results: Another good thing to do is track your results. As you are making your cold calls, keep track of how many people you call, how many folks you talk to, how many appointments you set, how many presentations you give, and how many people join your team. This is a great way to monitor your progress and find out how you are doing.
10. Educate Yourself: My final tip on my top 10 MLM Cold Calling Tips list is to educate yourself. There are lots of books and training products in the marketplace about cold calling. I suggest you visit your library or local bookstore so you can learn more about it. It’s not rocket science, but you can really improve your results if you study people who do cold calling for a living.
In summary, these are some of my favorite MLM Cold Calling Tips. While I don’t believe that cold calling is the most effective way to build your MLM business, it can work. And it’s a lot better than doing NOTHING.
Many successful distributors purchase leads and call them to share their products or business opportunity. Just make sure that you don’t violate any of the “do not call” laws. So, if you’re buying leads, make sure you verify each number with the “do not call” database before you call. Finally, make sure you have a game plan and be sure to track your results. Within a short period of time, you can develop great skills that will help you will your MLM Cold Calling.
What are your thoughts? If you have experience with cold calling I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below to share what type of results you got and any good tips you can offer our readers.
Chuck HolmesWebmaster, OnlineMLMCommunity.com
Phone: (352) 503-4816
Here's what you should do right now:
# 1 Sign Up for My FREE 7-Day MLM Bootcamp
# 2 Check Out These Awesome Tools and Resources
# 3 Join My Free Facebook MLM Mastermind Team