In today’s post, I want to teach you the difference between repeat customers and new customers. For the sake of your business success, I want you to know right now that repeat customers are much more profitable (and valuable) than new customers.
Most businesses just focus on finding new customers. Rather than taking care of the customers they currently have, they focus all of their time, money and energy on finding new people to sell their products and services to.
Once they make the sale with their new customer they quickly forget about them and then go look for someone else to sell their product or service. It’s a never ending cycle. These foolish entrepreneurs treat their customers like a one night stand.
Let me give you a few examples:
- How many times did the person that sold you a car contact you AFTER the sale?
- How many times did your realtor contact you after you closed on your home?
- How many times did your insurance agent contact you after the sale?
- How many times did the electronics store where you purchased your flat screen television at contact you after the sale?
- How many times did the pizza join you visited last Friday contact you?
The answer for most people is the same: NONE.
As a result, you have no loyalty to any of these businesses. You probably feel like you are just a number, just someone they make a quick dollar off. Simply put, there is no personal touch. The business probably provides a good product or service, but they don’t do the little things to make you feel appreciated.
As a result, what happens?
The next time you buy a car you visit a different agent or dealership. The next time you buy or sell a home you pick a different realtor. And the next time you shop for insurance you shop somewhere else. In other words, most of these businesses get NO repeat business from you.
Once again, REPEAT customers are where the real profits are made in any business.
If you own a business, don’t make this short-sighted mistake. Keep in touch with everyone you do business with on a regular basis. Communicate with them a few times each year. Let them know you are there to help. Let them know you care. Let them know you appreciate their business, by showing it with your actions.
To do that, try any of the following:
- Send a handwritten note after they do business with you (every time)
- Send a monthly newsletter in the mail each month
- Send them a note or card on their birthday, anniversary or special holidays
- Call them 2-3 days after they shop with you to make sure they are happy with what they bought
- Stay in touch via email, phone, and/or mail at least once every 30 to 90 days
By doing that, a few things will happen. First off, many of these folks will do business with you again, which puts more profits in your pockets. Additionally, you can recommend additional products or services to these folks, which makes you more money. And you will get referrals from these folks because you do what most entrepreneurs never do: keep in touch and build a good relationship.
Furthermore, when you are advertising each month, make sure you spend at least 75% of your marketing budget on maintaining relationships and keeping in contact (sending new offers) to your current and former customers. Most of these folks are already pre-sold on what you have to offer and are a much easier (and cheaper) sell than going out and finding a new customer.
For example, if you spend $1000 per month on advertising, allocate $750 toward sending offers, promotional materials, and correspondence to your current and former customer base, and the remaining 25% of your budget on finding new customers.
And when you get a new customer, treat them like gold. Make them feel appreciated. Make sure they are happy with the transaction. Keep in touch with them AT LEAST once every 30 to 90 days. You can do that through email, phone calls, direct mail and other techniques. Never let them forget who you are or what you have to offer.
Remember, repeat customers are more profitable than new customers. New customers will make you money, but repeat customers will make you wealthy.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.
My Suggested Tools & Resources
- Join the Right MLM Company at the Right Time. Work with a Top Producer!
- Want to Make Money Online? Learn How to Build Your Own Successful Website or Blog.
- Need a Marketing System? I Use This System to Recruit 10-20 New Reps Most Months.
- Start a Mail Order Business! Mail Postcards & Make Money. Request a FREE Info Kit.