Today, we’re going to discuss the different personality types of network marketers (and prospects). While this training is geared for network marketers, the personalities apply to every person, in every industry.
I can’t speak for you, but I’ve always looked for ways to work on my people skills. I understand that my business is people business and I need to be likeable if I want to build a big team.
One thing I learned a long time ago is that we are all wired differently. Talk to any group of people and you will find a wide assortment of personalities. Some people are laid back, some are hard chargers, some are emotional, some are funny, some are introverted, etc.
As you start to build your network marketing team, you will work with many different personality types. One of the best things you can learn how to do is to identify each personality type and then learn how to communicate effectively with each person, based upon their personality. This will save you a lot of time, money, energy and frustration. It will also let you work smart.
You must realize that each person on your team is wired differently, each person needs to be led differently, and each person communicates differently. Treating everyone the exact same way is a recipe for disaster.
The Different Personality Types in Network Marketing
My goal today in this post is to share the most common personality types that you will see in your network marketing team. After I talk about each personality type, I will share some tips you can follow to communicate with them effectively (and get along with them better). Please keep in mind that most people will have a combination of these personality types, usually with one that is very dominant.
Traits of Red Personality Types
- These personality types are the LEADERS and DOERS.
- If they were an animal, they would be a LION.
- They always want to be in CONTROL of the situation.
- They are the risk taker, strong-willed, impatient, competitive, rational, driven, purposeful, aggressive, restless and touchy.
- They are goal-oriented and are very focused on PRODUCTION.
- They are typically high achievers.
- Many of the top leaders in our industry have this personality.
- In the traditional business world, you will see folks with this personality in charge of something.
- They are the top executives, CEOs, sales professionals, and producers in our society.
How to Interact with Red Personality Types
- When you are working with a red personality type, you want to be direct and to the point.
- Talk about goals and production.
- Don’t ramble or try to overwhelm them with a bunch of details, because they don’t care much about the details.
- Focus on the big picture and where they are headed.
- Focus on the results and required action steps.
- Be sure to stroke their ego and tell them they are doing a good job. Focus the conversation on them.
- Have contests and competitions with them, they will want to win every contest.
- Make sure they get plenty of public recognition. Praise them whenever possible.
Blue Personality Types
Traits of Blue Personality Types
- The blues are the introverted, analytical folks.
- They are deep thinkers, detail focused, precise, reserved, systematic, anxious, moody, quiet and often pessimistic.
- If they were an animal, they would be a BEAVER.
- They strive for PERFECTION and there are few things they enjoy more than charts, graphs, numbers and details.
- In the regular world, they are often found in the engineer and accounting professions.
How to Interact with Blue Personality Types
- When working with a blue personality type, you need to be VERY patient.
- Give them information overload whenever possible. They will love it.
- Give them as much details about the compensation plan and products that you can. Don’t skip even one detail.
- Don’t overwhelm them with the big picture. They prefer the minutia.
- Realize that many of these folks will always be getting ready to get ready.
- Since they want everything to be perfect, they will be doing lots of busy work, behind the scenes.
- Make sure you educate them on the difference between busy work and productive work.
Yellow Personality Types
Traits of Yellow Personality Types
- The yellow personality types are the social butterflies.
- They are extroverted, they love people and they are the life of the party.
- If they were an animal they would be an OTTER.
- They are expressive, sociable, optimistic, animated, outgoing, talkative, carefree and lively.
- They are the dreamers and the idea people.
- They get overwhelmed easily with the details.
- They just want to have FUN!
- In the real world, you can see these folks in a wide variety of professions, such as acting, comedians, and sales.
- They typically draw people in, and when you go to a party or event, they are the folks with a bunch of people around them listening to their stories.
How to Interact with Yellow Personality Types
- When working with a yellow personality type, try to keep things simple and have fun.
- Realize they will often have a short attention span and get distracted easily, so ignore all details.
- Tell stories whenever you can!
- Laugh at their jokes and be sure you actively listen to them.
- Model their body language whenever possible.
Green Personality Types
Traits of Green Personality Types
- The green personality types are the laid back, easy-going folks.
- If they were an animal, they would be a GOLDEN RETRIEVER.
- They avoid confrontation at all costs.
- They like PEACE.
- They are calm, cool and collected.
- They are thoughtful, controlled, reliable, even-tempered, informal and easy to get along with.
- They keep things balanced and they bring harmony to whatever group they belong to.
How to Interact with Green Personality Types
- When you are dealing with a green personality, keep things very low-key.
- Avoid the hype and over excitement at all costs.
- Don’t be confrontational with them or forceful.
- These folks are a VERY important part of your team.
- They definitely balance out the reds and keep peace and harmony in the group.
One of the best things you can do is take the time to identify your own personality type. Read the different types listed above and you should quickly discover which one is your predominant personality type, and which one (or ones) might be your secondary personality type.
For example, I am a red (about 80%) with a small mix of yellow and blue (about 10% each). I tend to be goal oriented, productive, and focused, but I do like charts and numbers and I do love to have fun.
As new people join your business, one of the best things you can do is quickly determine what their personality type is, so you can get along with them better, and communicate with them more effectively.
Remember, we are all wired differently (thank goodness!). Our job as network marketing leaders is to know how to identify the different types of personalities and then find ways to get along with each personality type.
After all, this is a people business. Learning how to get along with different types of people is one of the best skills you can develop. What are your thoughts? What personality type are you? Leave a comment below to let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.