In today’s post I want to talk about the differences between the 95% and the 5% in our great industry.
These are trends and patterns I have noticed during the past 14 years.
Keep in mind this article is just my opinion, and you might disagree with me.
I’m cool with that if you are.
Before I dive deep into this subject, I am not saying that one group of people is BETTER than the other group of people.
You can be a good (or bad) person regardless of what category you fall into.
The major difference is the mindset between the two groups of people.
I define the 5% as the people who achieve success in their network marketing business.
That “definition” of success will vary from person to person.
For some people it means creating a full time income with their business, and for others it simply means making a couple thousand dollars per month.
I’ll be the first to admit that MOST people FAIL in our industry.
That’s how capitalism works.
There will always be winners and losers.
If your definition of fair is “everyone wins” you are a bit off in left field and don’t understand capitalism.
That’s not how life, business, or network marketing works.
The beauty of our industry is the OPPORTUNITY that is available to anyone who seizes it.
It is not guaranteed.
It’s not easy.
It’s just an opportunity.
What you do with it is up to you.
Capitalism means you take calculated risks even with the potential to FAIL.
It’s not a job.
There is no guaranteed pay.
It’s a business and it’s up to YOU to make it work.
No results, no money.
Capitalism is about opportunity, not SECURITY.
The beauty of our industry is the small risk involved, so even if you do fail, it’s not the end of the world.
Not many businesses in the world give you the OPPORTUNITY that our industry does, where you can get started for less than $1000, create residual income, have leverage without employees or money, work from home, keep your day job, not need inventory, and get free training.
We really are a dream business, if you understand it.
My mentor tells me that 100% of the people NOT in MLM don’t get it and 90% of the people IN our industry don’t understand it, or they would build it big.
There are really TWO mindsets in our industry: the 5% and the 95%.
I personally believe that SUCCESS is a mindset.
Your “mindset” ultimately determines whether or not you become successful, not the other way around.
Failure is also a mindset.
The success mindset is the 5%.
The failure mindset is the 95%.
If you want to succeed in our industry, you have to adopt the 5% mindset.
You want to model the behavior, mindset and attitudes of the top 5% who are successful.
That’s what I am going to explain in the rest of this article.
I’m going to share the differences between the 5% and the 95%, so you can see what you NEED to do to be successful.
What the 5% Does
- Talks to MINIMUM five people a day about their products or business, at least six days a week and NEVER misses a day
- Sponsors new distributors and new customers every single month
- Schedules minimum 1-2 hours to work their business every single day, no excuses
- Is their own best customer
- Has a written business plan and written goals
- Has 100% belief in themselves, their company, their products and the industry
- Takes 100% responsibility for their business
- Is coachable and open minded
- Works on their personal growth daily
- Has the “I Can, I Will, I Shall” mindset
- Has jumped in with both feet
- Attends all training events and plugs into the team’s training system
What the 95% Does
- Is hesitant to approach people for fear of rejection or fear of failure
- Can go months without sponsoring anyone
- Tries to fit in the business when time permits, because it is not a big priority for them
- Has a few ideas of what they would like to accomplish with the business, but hasn’t written anything down on paper or been specific
- Uses some products, but also uses competitor’s products, or complains about the prices
- Has little belief in themselves and doubts if they can ever be successful
- Blames their lack of success on everyone and anyone but themselves
- Will not listen to anyone in their upline or follow their coaching
- Does not take personal development seriously
- Has the “I’ll give it a try mindset”
- Dabbles with the business and has not sold out to it
- Makes excuses as to why they can’t attend the company’s training events
How do you rate in each one of these areas?
What can you improve upon?
Are you part of the 5% or the 95%?
Be honest with yourself.
I’m not judging you.
What you do with your business is totally up to you.
I share these two MINDSETS with you for a reason.
First off, you deserve to know what type of mindset you will need to have if you want to be successful in the industry.
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
- Four Strategies or Mindsets About Building a Large MLM Business
- The Entrepreneur Mindset: 10 Tips for Thinking Like a Successful Entrepreneur
- How to Develop the Right MLM Mindset
- People Will Disappoint You in Your MLM Business and in Life
- How to Go from Bad to Good to Great
Also, you must realize that 95% of your team will be 95%ers.
You need to know how to deal with them and how they think.
You need to be able to teach the 95% how to think and act like the 5%.
It’s hard to turn a 95%er into a 5%er, but it is possible.
It’s a process and it won’t happen overnight.
The best thing to do is to look for people who sponsor who already think like the five percent!
In addition, you must lead by example.
Be a sterling example for others to follow and inspire them by what you do on a daily basis.
Show them what a winner looks like!
If you do that, you will attract the right people and some of the 95%ers will jump on board and become 5%ers.
Also, remember this.
You need the 95%ers.
This is where MOST of your volume comes from.
Love on them.
Be happy you have them on your team.
But don’t sit around and wait for them to build a business.
Most of your team’s growth will come from the 5%ers.
They will recruit other 5%ers and 95%ers.
It’s your job to create a team culture that helps people grow and keeps people around UNTIL they make the decision to become a 5%er or lead you to someone who is!
What are your thoughts?
Leave a comment below to let me know what you think about this concept.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a great day.