We all have comfort zones. I do. So do you. Our comfort zone can be an asset or a liability in our network marketing business (and life), depending upon our view of it and our willingness to change. Most people feel very uncomfortable trying ANYTHING new, even if it will be beneficial for them.
Staying in the land of familiar, even if that land sucks, keeps most people content, whereas trying something new or different often makes people uncomfortable. I’m not sure WHY, but it’s very common with most people.
Our comfort zone is defined as “a place where we feel comfortable and at ease without stress.” Here are a few examples.
- Your habits are your comfort zone
- The foods you eat are your comfort zone
- The businesses you shop at are your comfort zone
- How you drive to work each day is your comfort zone
- Choosing security or opportunity is dictated by your comfort zone
- The type of work you do is based upon your comfort zone
- Your willingness to talk to prospects will be determined by your comfort zone
- Your willingness to put in the work and be consistent with your network marketing business will be determined by your comfort zone
- Your ability to overcome challenges and temporary defeat will be determined by your comfort zone
- The types of people you date is determined by your comfort zone
When it comes to network marketing, the business typically forces people out of their comfort zone. That’s one of the reasons why so few people take action and most people quit.
- Most people feel uncomfortable selling
- Most people feel uncomfortable calling up prospects
- Most people feel uncomfortable working nights and weekends, after getting home from work
- Most people feel uncomfortable getting rejected
- Most people feel uncomfortable with a merit based pay system
- Most people feel uncomfortable not being an employee
- Most people feel uncomfortable with being 100% responsible for their own success
- Most people feel uncomfortable with the unknown
I could go on and on here, but from my own experience, these are many of the things that have held me back in the past. Fortunately, I learned how to overcome these things by taking action.
For most people, FEAR is what holds them back. Fear of failure. Fear of rejection. Fear of change. Fear of success. Fear of what other people think. Fear of the unknown.
This fear is determined by the person’s comfort zone. Most people let their fears paralyze them, whereas successful people break through their comfort zone because they know they have to change if they want their life to change.
Remember, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different to happen. For you to transform your life and your network marketing business for the better you are going to have to break through the barriers and leave your comfort zone behind, once and for all.
You’re going to have to try new things. You must be willing to fail. You must be willing to get laughed at. You must be willing to be ridiculed. You must be willing to struggle and deal with temporary defeat. You must be willing to be uncomfortable.
If you aren’t willing to embrace these things you probably won’t accomplish ANYTHING significant in life, let alone network marketing.
You have to realize that success and growth require CHANGE. And the only way to change is to take action, leave your comfort zone behind, and deal with things as they arise.
Most of the things you fear aren’t going to happen anyway. Your comfort zone is really only in your mind anyway. You can change your thinking and form new paradigms if you choose too. All of the fears you have right now have been LEARNED in the past. You can also learn to get rid of those fears.
One of the most valuable lessons I learned in life is that action cures fear. By taking action, most of the fears you have will disappear. Most of the things we fear never come true anyway.
I’ve found that most of the things I worried about in the past went away when I came up with a game plan and took action. Funny how that works!
Don’t let analysis by paralysis, fear, or your comfort zone keep you from living the life you deserve. Decide what you want in life and realize that if you want things to get better you’re going to have to get better. Realize you must be willing to try new things. You must be willing to fail. Realize that your comfort zone is holding your back and most of the things you fear are never going to come true anyway.
What are your thoughts about comfort zones? Leave a comment below to let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.