Today, I want to talk about how to get local MLM leads. In my opinion, one of the best ways to get started in network marketing is to build your business locally. That means you should share your products and business opportunity with the people you know; especially those who live in the same town that you do. And you should prospect locally.
There are several benefits of building your network marketing business locally. The biggest benefit is that you will live close to your downline distributors and customers. This makes it easier to train and motivate your downline. You can host in-home parties and live training sessions for your team. And if your customers live close to you, it’s easier to serve them.
While most distributors get excited about having a national or international business, it’s much easier to start locally and then expand, than vice-verse. Remember, the grass is not greener on the other side. There are plenty of people in your local area who would be interested in what you have to offer, if you approach them the right way. You don’t have to travel across the country to find good people. Start in your own backyard first.
So, how do you build your business locally? And how do you get local MLM leads? Fortunately, you have several different options. In the paragraphs below, I will teach you eight different ways to generate local MLM leads. You could:
1. Hand Out Fliers: You could create a simple flier to hand out to people. You could distribute the fliers at the fair, via the flea market or place the fliers on car windshields. Your key to success with fliers is to keep it simple and be consistent. You don’t want your flier to mention your company name. Instead, create a good headline, a few key benefits and a call to action. You want people to call your pre-recorded toll-free number so they can listen to your pre-recorded message Also, make sure you hand out at least 100 fliers per week, EVERY WEEK. Being consistent is a big part of being successful. Personally, I like the idea of having fliers based off your product line. For example, if your company specializes in weight loss products, make a flyer about losing weight.
2. Talk with People You Know: You can share your products and business opportunity with the people you know locally. These are your best prospects during the beginning phase of your business. Most people know at least 200-500 people, and probably much more than that. The best way to get started is to make a list of everyone you know. Use Facebook, your email list and phone contacts as your starting point. I recommend you lead with the products first. You will get less resistance doing that. Try to talk to minimum TWO PEOPLE per day about your products or business opportunity. Read more about working with your warm market.
3. Advertise in the Newspaper: You could place a simple ad in your local newspaper and have interested people contact you. You could advertise your products or business opportunity. I suggest you try both and test to see what type of results you get. Your key to success is consistency. Most people will need to see your newspaper ad several times before they respond. Keep your ad in the newspaper on the same days each week for minimum one year. It doesn’t have to be in the newspaper every day, just keep it consistent. Read my post about how to do classified ads the right way.
4. Network with Other Entrepreneurs: Another way to generate local MLM leads is to network with other business owners in your home town. You could attend networking events and meet other entrepreneurs. Don’t make the mistake of talking business right away. Instead, collect business cards and make a positive first impression. Follow up with your prospects several days later. You could also visit some of your local mom and pop businesses (dry cleaner, laundromat, hair salon, etc.) and talk to these business owners about doing a joint venture. For instance, you could tell them that if they let you put your marketing materials in their business you would sponsor them and then put everyone who responds on their team. Read more about joint ventures and working with local businesses.
5. Sizzle Cards: You could print up some sizzle cards. A sizzle card is bigger than a business card, but smaller than the size of a post card. You can print them out at your local office supply store and then leave them in strategic places. You could leave one at the ATM machine, with your tip at the restaurant, on bulletin boards, gas pumps, or wherever else you can think of. Read my post about how to use sizzle cards.
6. Prospect: When you meet new people each day, you could prospect them. Ask them questions and find out if your products or business opportunity is right for them. Most of us come in contact with at least 50 new people each day. Your job is to be aware of that and start introducing yourself to some of these folks. Be friendly. Get good at asking questions. Stick your hand out, put a smile on your face, say hello and introduce yourself to as many people as you can. Try to get at least two business cards or phone numbers per day. This will help you get lots of local MLM leads. Read more about my best prospecting tips.
7. Car Magnets: Car magnets are a cheap and easy way to generate local MLM leads. You can have a nice car magnet made for less than $100. Put it on your car and you are now promoting your business 24/7. If that doesn’t appeal to you, you can also have a large sticker sign made for your rear view mirror. Whichever method you use, make sure you have the text big enough so people can read it and call you. This is a passive marketing strategy that you can do one-time and keep generating new local MLM leads each week. Read more about car magnets.
8. Signs: You’ve probably seen the small signs at busy intersections. You could make a “work from home” or “lose weight today” or “fire your boss” sign. You could place one in your yard and at busy intersections. Just check your local ordnance laws first so you don’t get yourself into any kind of trouble with the law/code enforcement. You can have these signs made at Kinko’s or Office Depot. They’re pretty cheap, too.
In conclusion, the best way to build your network marketing business is to start out building it locally. It makes no sense to try and build a team on the other side of the country, or in another country, until you’ve built a strong foundation locally first. That way you can support your team and help it grow.
In order to start building your team locally, you need to get good at prospecting and generating leads. You need to use different marketing techniques to help you identify interested people. You can do that by following any of the tips I mentioned in this post. I suggest you use no more than two to three marketing strategies at a time.
Once you start generating leads, you need a good follow up process so you can start recruiting distributors and finding customers. And as your team grows, you need to train them on what it takes to succeed in the business.
Once you start sponsoring people, you will quickly discover that your network marketing business will spread across the country, in many different states and cities. Your local people will lead you to many other folks.
What are your thoughts about generating local MLM leads? What’s worked for you in the past? Leave a comment below to let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.