Do you own a website or blog?
If you answered yes to that question, do you have a written business plan for it?
Chances are, you don’t.
Most people start a blog or website without putting much thought into it.
They simply wake up one morning, have a great idea, and launch a website.
They don’t have a specific plan, goal or objective.
In my opinion, this is one of the major reasons that so many blogs and websites fail.
I learned in the Army that failing to plan is planning to fail.
Every hour you spend planning will save you at least five to ten hours in execution, and probably much more than that.
Regardless of what type of business you own, even if it is a blog or website, you need a written business and marketing plan.
This will clearly identify your goals, vision, unique selling proposition, daily action plan and much more.
It will let you see the big picture, the forest from the trees.
It will let you see your website from the outside in.
Bottom line: you need a business plan for your blog or website.
If for some reason you can’t see the video above, here is a link to it on YouTube.
What I want to do in the rest of this post is provide a sample blog or website business plan.
This is my actual business plan for this website.
It’s my business plan for 2016.
I update it each year on January 1st.
By no means do you need to use the exact same format that I do.
I like to keep it to one page or less so it is simple to understand and easy to follow.
Feel free to modify, edit or change this format to whatever you like, so you can create a business plan for your own blog or website.
Business Plan for Online MLM Community (Jan 1, 2016 to Dec 31, 2016)
As of Jan 1, 2016
Unique Selling Proposition: I am a watchdog for the MLM Industry. I provide cutting edge help, tips and information to network marketers from any company. My goal is to educate, to help, and to inspire other network marketers to achieve success. I serve as a distributor, affiliate marketer, blogger, and writer specializing in the network marketing industry.
Vision: In the next five years (December 31, 2019), I will have one of the top 5 most visited network marketing blogs on the internet, with more than 2,500 pages of valuable content. My goal is to earn $100,000 per year in income from my blog in 2019.
Mission Statement: To educate, to help, and to inspire other network marketers. To serve as a “watchdog” for our industry and help give the industry a good name.
Five Year Business Goals (December 31, 2019):
- Have a 2,500 page blog
- Have 2,500 people in my private Facebook MLM Mastermind Team
- Have an email list with 10k subscribers
- Have 1 million unique visitors and 2 million page views in 2019
- Have five income streams greater than $2k per month each
This Year’s Business Goals (by December 31, 2016):
- Add 360 new pages of content
- Generate 7,200 leads (4k email leads for my Boot Camp, 1200 leads for my MLM Business, and 2k Elite Marketing Pro leads)
- Add 366 people to my Facebook Mastermind Group
- Create 10 low cost reports to sell on my website
- Have 400k unique visitors and 700k page views
- Publish 360 podcasts
- Add 2,400 blog comments
- Leave 240 blog comments
- Run four separate 90-day challenges
In order to achieve these goals, this is my action plan.
- Publish 30 blog posts per month
- Email list every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Send out two hand written notes per day
- Create 30 podcasts per month
- Add 200 comments per month
- Share content on Facebook every day
- Hold four 90 Day Challenges throughout the year
- Leave 20 blog comments per month
***** End of Business Plan
There you have it folks.
This is a sample business plan for a blog or website.
I hope you found the information helpful.
What are your thoughts?
Does it make sense to you?
Leave a comment below to let me know what you think.
I look forward to hearing from you.