Today, I’m going to share some of my best MLM Direct Mail tips.
Direct mail is a very effective, time-tested marketing strategy used by millions of companies. More importantly the direct mail industry has been around more than 100 years.
Although the internet has changed the way many businesses advertise, you should not rule out direct mail. If anything, direct mail has become less competitive as other businesses transition to the internet.
In the paragraphs below, I will cover:
- What I Love About Direct Mail
- Quick Facts About Direct Mail
- Six Keys to Success with Direct Mail
Enjoy the information!
What I Love About Direct Mail
How many daily email messages do you receive a day about network marketing, business opportunities, or something related to that subject? I can’t speak for you, but I get anywhere from 50 to 100 emails a day that fall into that category.
Most of these email messages go straight to my junk folder and the few that make it to my inbox get deleted immediately. That means that most of those emails never get opened or read.
What I love about direct mail is that you have someone’s UNDIVIDED ATTENTION. If you can get them to open the piece of mail, or read the postcard, you have their immediate attention.
If they open it, there’s a good chance they will read your message! And if you have effective AD COPY there’s a good chance you can get the person to take action.
Another thing I like about direct mail is the cost. Some people will say it is expensive, but when you compare it to Facebook PPC or Google Adwords it is about the same price per person, and usually less.
In the past, I’ve averaged 75 cents to $1 per click using pay-per-click services. And I can mail a postcard for less than 50 cents, even including the postage, printing and leads. And if I mail a letter, it’s still normally less than $1 per person.
Another thing that I love about MLM Direct Mail is that it’s fairly easy. Compared to Search Engine Optimization and online advertising, there is a shorter learning curve. Plus, direct mail is stable and constant, whereas the internet world is always changing.
In fact, you could be up and running with direct mail in no time, probably in as little as a few days. If you can lick a stamp, and put an address label on a postcard, you are in business.
But the BEST thing I LOVE about direct mail is that NO ONE is doing it. Well, not many people are doing it. I’ve been in the network marketing industry more than 16 years now, and I haven’t received even FIVE pieces of direct mail from someone promoting a MLM Company in all of that time.
As I mentioned earlier, I get close to 100 emails per day concerning MLM. So, I’d consider the MLM Direct Mail strategy a competition free zone.
Quick Facts About Direct Mail
I just wanted to share some quick facts about I found about direct mail online. These will help illustrate how large of an industry it really is.
- In 2007, direct mail accounted for 3.5 percent of total U.S. gross domestic product. About 6 million American jobs depend on direct mail.
- California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois are the top five states who shop the most from catalogs.
- According to research, 69 percent of Americans shop from catalogs, on the Internet, over the phone, or by mail, while 81 percent of U.S. households usually read some or all of the advertising mail they receive.
- Hundreds of millions of pieces of mail are delivered everyday to more than 141 million homes and businesses in the United States.
- The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) was founded in 1917 to represent the direct mail community. Today, the association has nearly 3,600 members and is the leading global trade association for all direct marketing tools and techniques. This year, direct mail represented 34% of the total advertising and marketing revenue for direct marketers.
- In 2005, nearly $200 billion in contributions were collected though direct mail for good causes – from charities supporting the poor to foundations conducting important medical research.
These facts were referenced from DMAChoice.com
- According to the DMA, a dollar investment in direct marketing advertising generates $12.57 in sales.
- Combining direct mail with other marketing activities increases campaign payback by up to 20%, research out of the UK shows.
- According to The Direct Marketing Association’s 2010 Response Rate Report, direct mail and e-mail remain the most commonly used media by direct marketers, with more than half using each.
These facts were referenced from:
What’s the bottom line? Direct mail works!
Six Keys to Success with MLM Direct Mail
When it comes to direct mail, there is a right way and wrong way to do it. Here are some of my best tips.
- Get the Right List: The first and most important thing you need to do is to get the right mailing list. There are literally HUNDREDS of list brokers out there, all trying to make a buck off you. Many of these brokers are convincing salespeople. That makes it difficult for you to find a good list broker. I have access to several good list brokers and I can tell you one thing. The MONEY IS IN THE LIST. You want to get a responsive list of OPPORTUNITY BUYERS, not OPPORTUNITY Seekers. Ideally, you want most of your list to be current, former or aspiring network marketers. But “wanna be” work from home people are okay too.
- Make the Right Offer: Once you have the right list, the next step is to make the right offer. If you buy a list of other network marketers DO NOT lead with your MLM Company. If you do, you will get horrible results. Instead, you want to promote a system, training, or leads. This is what most struggling network marketers want. If you can deliver this message to the right crowd, you will get responses. If you can show someone how to solve one of their immediate problems, you will make money. I highly recommend you start off with a free offer first and then sell one of the services I just mentioned (leads, training, advertising, or systems). On the other hand, you can offer your business opportunity to opportunity seeker/buyer leads.
- Send Out Enough Messages: Selling is a numbers game. Yes, you need a good list and a good message, but if you don’t work the numbers, you are doomed. You can’t just mail out 100 postcards and hope for the best. That won’t work. Instead, you need to send out 1k to 2500 postcards (or more) at a time. After you do that the first time, you can wait and test your results. Once you’re confident in your list and message, you can continue mailing out more postcards or fliers.
- Follow Up: As people start responding to your mailing, you MUST follow-up. Ideally, you want to send people to your toll-free number to listen to your sizzle call and leave a message. Or, you can send people to your capture page, so you can collect their email and follow-up with them with your auto-responder. After all, the money is in the follow-up. When people call or email you with questions, make sure you call them back promptly. Additionally, you might want to mail more offers to people who didn’t respond to your first mailing. Sometimes it will take 3-5 mailings to the same person to trigger a response. If you aren’t willing to follow-up, don’t mail anything out.
- Test Your Results: Smart marketers ALWAYS TEST their results before they roll out a major direct mail campaign. I recommend you keep track of your statistics for each mailing. You want to test your response rate, your conversion rate, your cost per lead, and your return per lead. Whenever you make changes to your campaign, you should only change ONE thing at a time. If you change more than one thing, you will never really know what effected the positive or negative change.
- Be Consistent: The final key to success with direct mail is to be consistent. Once you have a system that works for you, you must send out mailings each week, each month, etc. Don’t do a one-time mailing and then give up. Instead, keep mailing consistently, learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.
These are steps you should use to market your product or service in a SMART way.
MLM Direct Mail is a competition free zone, especially in today’s internet world. That being said, you will need to invest your time and money to educate yourself about direct mail, so you know what you are doing.
Expect to go through some type of learning curve (just like anything else). You will make mistakes and lose money initially, but if you press forward, learn from each mistake, and make adjustments as needed, I’m pretty sure MLM Direct Mail might just be the perfect lead generation system for you.
What are your thoughts? Have you used MLM Direct Mail in the past? If so, what was your experience like? Leave a comment below to let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you.