Guest Post by Kathy Marie Howell
Jealousy is a part of human nature, it does not have to be a part of your MLM business.
“Part of being a man is learning to take responsibility for your successes and for your failures. You can’t go blaming others or being jealous. Seeing somebody else’s success as your failure is a cancerous way to live.” ~Kevin Bacon
What to do when your friend joins another MLM company?
We all have had that one friend we want join our team, the one we have been talking to for days, months, even years sometimes. We think everything is going great until one day they call you excitedly and tell you they have joined a different network marketing company.
What? How could that possibly be? If you’ve been in the business for a while you’ve heard the statement, people join you and not the company. Well, I believe that is true to an extent, but I also believe people join where the hype is.
That’s where jealousy can start. It doesn’t have to be that way though and you can use it as a lesson in maturity. When your friend joins a different MLM company, smile and congratulate them even if you feel like it’s not the best decision. You were friends long before either of you were in business for yourselves. Jealousy can ruin a friendship. Be a professional and rise above any jealousy you may have.
Ditch the jealousy in your organization.
Lead by example. Like any business there are things you love about it and things that you wish you didn’t have to deal with. Jealousy, if left unchecked is one of those things you don’t want to deal with. Any time you have competition and people working for themselves, you are prone to drawing out the best as well as the worst in others. As a leader it is your job to address the situation quickly and professionally. Communicate. Get to the root of the cause and enforce a zero tolerance policy. I have seen whole organizations crumble because someone was jealous and it damaged the whole group. Do not let that happen to you and your organization.
When your spouse or significant other is jealous.
Unfortunately this happens more than it should. It may not even be obvious to those involved but it can destroy relationships as well as businesses. Just remember, when someone is jealous it’s about them and not you. There are a few ways I have found to be successful when someone you care about is jealous. One way is to include the jealous party, preferably having it be their idea. Another good way to avoid jealousy is to make sure you have special alone time with your significant other. They feel loved and in turn are usually happier. The best way to diminish jealousy is to become financially successful. I rarely see unhappy people when they are having positive results in their business.
How you can support your friends who are in network marketing.
1. I recommend using other MLM products but I would not recommend promoting more than one MLM company at a time. Once you are successful in one company and you feel there is no competition, you may want to branch out then. There are many everyday products that are wonderful and it’s a good way to support the industry as well as your friends.
2. Host a home party. It’s a great way to show support, get a discount, or earn free gifts for being a host.
3. Host or attend vendor fairs by inviting multiple MLM companies to be represented. It’s a great way to increase exposure for everyone in a no pressure environment.
4. You can be a great referral source. When you know someone is looking for a product or a service, you may be able to recommend a friend who is in a different company. When you think of others, they in turn want to do the same for you. It’s called the law of reciprocity.
5. If you are in a MLM company, create a mastermind to network with others in the industry. Collectively, everyone can have a greater impact on those around them. By sharing what is working or not working in the current economy or your industry helps everyone.
How you can make a difference.
We all want to be successful in our endeavors. Most people that join a MLM company have never owned a business before. There has always been a misconception in MLM because it is word of mouth advertising. Some people say it is easy to be successful in network marketing but in reality, it is hard work to be a top earner.
The flip side is, everyone can earn enough money to get their products paid for if they really want to, with little effort. The best thing to do is to educate yourself before you say yes. Most people don’t really know what to look for in a company or even what they are getting into when they say yes to a network marketing opportunity. Unfortunately, most people don’t last in the business because they never understand it. Don’t be that person.
Your job is to be a professional at all times.
Professionals don’t have time to be jealous. They are too busy working their business to notice what others are doing. Concentrate on your own actions. Be the best that you can be. Focus on your goals and your action plan. Model what you admire most in others. The right people will come along in your organization if you are talking to enough people.
I have never been a jealous person in my adult years. I have seen it destroy too many relationships in my past to let it have any part of my future. When you can come to the place in your life where you focus on the big picture without worrying about what others are doing to get there, you will be happy. It is our job as leaders to help others be successful. Encourage personal development and build strong relationships. Network marketing is a great industry and one I am very proud to be associated with.
About the Author
Kathy Marie Howell, 49 year old mother of three married to the man of my dreams. My story just goes to show you that when you seek passion in your life, you often find solutions to help your dreams become reality. I got into the beauty industry to develop my talents and to serve others never realizing the profound effect it would have on my future.
I have found my experience as a Master Cosmetologist, specializing in health and wellness and coaching over the past 25+ years, has well prepared me to help others find their passion as well. My intuition and deep spirituality have led me to where I am today… living a life of purpose and joy.
I AM a MOMpreneur and blessed to be one. I AM a coach and a cheerleader and will be your biggest supporter. I AM here to help you navigate through our changing world with confidence. I AM here to bring innovative and new solutions to the world and it starts with an open heart and mind. I AM here for you.
My Suggested Tools & Resources
- Join the Right MLM Company at the Right Time. Work with a Top Producer!
- Want to Make Money Online? Learn How to Build Your Own Successful Website or Blog.
- Need a Marketing System? I Used This System to Recruit 200+ New Reps in 18-Months.
- Start a Mail Order Business! Mail Postcards & Make Money. Request a FREE Info Kit.