Today, I want to talk to you about how to plan out your day using a simple method I call the index card time management system. I’ve been using this system with great success for the past several years. It has allowed me to work smart, and get more done, while still having plenty of time to relax and enjoy my family.
Whether you are struggling with time management in your network marketing business, or in life, I truly believe my index card time management system will help you.
How the Index Card Time Management System Works
This time management system is very simple and easy to use. First off, go to your local discount store and buy some index cards. You can get a pack of 100 index cards for about $1.
Each morning, before you do ANYTHING else, take out a blank index card and write down the FIVE most important things you need to do that day to grow your business (or job, work, etc.).
After you write out the five tasks, prioritize those five tasks in order of importance. Put a number one by the most important task, a number two by the second most important task, etc.
After you take your shower, eat breakfast and start your day, immediately start working on the first task. Do nothing else UNTIL that task is finished.
That means you should avoid your email, social media and cell phone during this time. After you finish all five tasks, you can focus on other, less important tasks.
How to Use the Index Card Time Management System for Your MLM Business
When it comes to your MLM Business, the index card time management system works the exact same way.
Each morning, write down FIVE things you need to do to move your network marketing business forward that day. Prioritize those tasks in order of importance and make sure you finish ALL five tasks before you go to bed at night.
Here’s an example of some tasks you might put on your index card:
- Follow up with Joe about the products
- Set up an appointment with Mary to meet at the coffee shop and do a presentation
- Connect with two new prospects on Facebook
- Hand out 20 drop cards during the day
- Conduct in home presentation with Tim
It’s really important that the tasks you write down on your index card are MONEY PRODUCING ACTIVITIES. These are activities that actually GROW your business and bonus check.
Do not confuse busy work with productive work. Busy work includes cleaning your office, attending meetings, watching videos, surfing Facebook, organizing files, etc. Writing down “busy work” type of tasks on your index card is a complete waste of time.
10 Tips for Success
- Fill out your blank index card each night before you go to be or each morning before you start your day.
- Only put critical tasks on your list.
- Set a time limit for each task.
- Do not try to multi-task and do multiple things at once.
- Take small breaks in between each task.
- Don’t put too many tasks on your index card, three to five is ideal.
- Cross off each task after it is finished.
- Do the tasks in order of importance; do the most important task first.
- Avoid distractions such as social media, checking email, and looking at your cell phone while you work.
- Always do your three to five most important tasks each day before doing less important tasks.
There you have it folks. This is my secret index card time management system. It will help you with planning out your day.
I’m not claiming to be the guy who invented this time management system, but I’ve been using it successfully for several years now. If you struggle with time management, I highly suggest you try out this strategy for just 7-days and see what type of results you get.
How about you? What do you do to manage your time? What is your best time management tip? Have you ever used the index card time management system yourself to plan out your day? If yes, how did it work for you? Leave a comment below to share your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you.