One of the biggest issues I have with the network marketing industry is the deceptive recruiting techniques used by many distributors. While I love the industry, I am really angry with all the lies and deception going on in our industry.
While most of the people in our industry try to do the right thing, we do have a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone. Yes, that is normal in EVERY industry, but I would still like to see it stopped.
Some distributors will say or do anything to sponsor a new distributor or get a new customer. They will use all the fancy words, buzz phrases, hype, pressure, and lies to get someone to fork over their credit card and sign the distributor agreement. Most of these folks are only concerned about making money quickly and they have little concern for their prospect.
And other distributors are simply misinformed or uneducated about what they can and can’t say to a prospect. They are either new or inexperienced or haven’t been trained properly.
Other than the high failure rate in our industry, I believe we get a bad name because of the deceptive recruiting techniques that so many people use. Here are some examples of what I consider deceptive recruiting techniques, so we are on the same sheet of paper.
2. Scheduling a meeting with someone, but not telling them what it is about ahead of time
3. Talking about the big numbers in the industry without revealing the average distributor earnings disclaimer, or talking about what it takes to make it big
4. Lying to your prospect about how much money you really make
5. Hyping up your business opportunity without revealing all the facts
6. “Targeting” broke, unemployed or financially destitute people giving them false hope that they can make it big without doing any work
7. Promising people that all they need to do is sign up and they can get rich from the spillover
8. Puking your business opportunity all over people: people who didn’t give you permission to do so
9. Sending out a massive amount of SPAM emails to people you don’t know and people who DID NOT give you permission to contact them
If you are doing ANY of these things I would encourage you to stop it immediately!
Personally, I’ve always believed in being honest with your prospect. It’s okay to be excited. That’s a good thing. But you shouldn’t mislead or intentionally deceive your prospect just to get them to meet with you or just to join your team. Don’t tell them what you think they want to hear or “stretch” the truth to get them to join.
You have to remember that what you do affects everyone else in our industry as well. We are all ambassadors to the industry. One bad apple can really ruin it for a lot of people.
I say that because that because if you deceive your prospect, they will be upset and they will talk to everyone they know, telling them how much of a scam our industry is (and you are). Or, they will go online and set up a blog designed to share their negative opinion of MLM with others.
At the end of the day, you need to do the right thing. If you are currently using deceptive recruiting techniques with your MLM business opportunity, I’d like to ask you to stop doing it. If your team is doing it, make them stop. From this day forward, make it a point to always be honest and tell the truth. Do the right thing. Your business opportunity and products are already good enough. There’s no need to lie or mislead people.
If you’re going to promote your business opportunity, promote it as a business opportunity, not a job listing. If you’re going to meet with someone, don’t lie to them about the purpose of the meeting. If you’re going to talk about the earnings potential, make sure you reveal the average earnings per distributor and also talk about how much work is required to make big money. If you’re going to talk about the products, don’t make medical claims!
The bottom line is to follow the Golden Rule. Treat others as well as you would treat your own parent or child. Be a professional at all times. Never lie or deceive your prospects, just so you can benefit monetarily. Our industry needs more professionals! Make a commitment to be a network marketing professional. It will be the best career decision you ever made!
My Suggested Tools & Resources
- Join the Right MLM Company at the Right Time. Work with a Top Producer!
- Want to Make Money Online? Learn How to Build Your Own Successful Website or Blog.
- Need a Marketing System? I Use This System to Recruit 10-20 New Reps Most Months.
- Start a Mail Order Business! Mail Postcards & Make Money. Request a FREE Info Kit.