Chuck’s MLM Weekly Wisdom # 59: October 21, 2015
Dear Network Marketer:
I hope you are happy, healthy and well. Here is this week’s edition of Chuck’s MLM Weekly Wisdom. Enjoy the training.
# 1 Going the Distance
This business is a marathon, not a sprint. I understand that most people already know that, but when the rubber meets the road, most people do not have the mental toughness to persevere UNTIL they succeed. Most people get frustrated somewhere between the three and twelve month mark because they’ve put in some work and they aren’t seeing big results yet.
The truth is most businesses that I know of, in any industry, normally take a year or two just to get profitable and at least five years to get established. You have to have some vision and mental toughness to succeed. You have to know what you are aiming towards, and you must put in the work day in and day out.
I heard a story the other day about a Nu Skin distributor who took TEN YEARS to make it to the top rank of his company. Do you know what he said? IT WAS WORTH IT! Even if it takes you 20 years of part-time work to build a six figure residual income with your company it is worth it.
That’s the point I’m trying to make. If you really want what our industry has to offer (time, money and freedom) why question or worry about how long it takes to succeed? Everyone’s situation will be different. Some folks will do it quickly, while others will take a while. Even if it takes you a while YOU STILL WIN!
Most of the top earners I know took AT LEAST ten years to build up a substantial income in their company and sometimes even longer. Considering you are doing it part-time that’s still a great deal.
The bottom line is that you need to set some goals, plan your work and work your plan UNTIL you get there. It will typically take longer than you expect, but it’s still worth it.
# 2 Featured Blog Posts
Here are a few popular blog posts that I think you might enjoy.
- Top Tax Tips for Network Marketers
- Bookkeeping and Tax Preparation Tips for MLMers
- Top Prospecting Tips for Network Marketers
# 3 Helping Your New Team Members
This is a coaching and teaching business. It’s not your job to build anyone’s business for them, but it would be smart of you to HELP your new people get started right. Here are a few things you can do to make that happen.
- Find out their why – Sit down with each person you sponsor and find out what their “end goal” is.
- Show them what they need to do to accomplish their why – Draw out what size organization they will need to reach their goal. Talk about how many people they will need to sponsor, how many people they will need, how much volume they will need and what rank they will need to get to that goal.
- Help them develop a business plan – Have each person create a simple one page business plan for their network marketing business. This is vital.
- Help them pick a business building strategy – Find out how they see themselves building a business. Find out their talents and abilities and help them develop a strategy that works for them. Don’t force them to do it your way.
- Help them create a daily mode of operations – This is one of the most important things you can do. Help each new person identify what activities they must do on a daily basis to get where they want to go.
- Work closely with them the first 90 days – Realize that most distributors are like newborn babies. You have to nurture them, spend a lot of time with them, and hold their hand as they get started. Most new reps will need intensive support.
- Match their efforts – Give the person an assignment. If they do it, give them another one. If they don’t do it, or are late, forget about them and work with someone else. You can only work with the willing. The relationship must be give and take, not just you doing everything for them.
- Plug them in to your system – Plug each new person into your support and training system so they can learn from other people and get ongoing support. You don’t need to do everything themselves.
And remember this; only about one out of every five people you sponsor will be coachable or do ANYTHING at all. This advice is geared for that one person.
# 4 Featured Videos
Here are some videos that I found on YouTube that I thought you might enjoy.
# 5 The Cold, Hard Reality
The cold hard reality is that most people will quit. This is so hard to stomach, especially when you invest time and money trying to help people succeed. In many cases you will want success more for your team members than they want it for themselves.
People will let you down. People will disappoint you. The person you think will be your next superstar will probably be gone within the next 90 days. My advice to you is to LET THEM GO and don’t let it get you down.
Expect it. Expect that every single person you sponsor will do nothing and quit, but hope for the best. That way you are never disappointed. The only thing you can control in this business is your PERSONAL PRODUCTION.
If people aren’t quitting and canceling their auto-ships, you probably aren’t doing much in your business. This is a business of attrition.
You just have to have faith that the right people will stay! When someone quits, be nice, but let them go. Leave the door open for them in case they ever want to come back and rejoin your team later on down the road. Don’t sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Get back to work!
Focus on the things that you can control and eventually you will ATTRACT the right people into your business. Keep in mind that you only need a few serious people to build a large income in this industry.
# 6 Featured Podcasts
Here are a few popular podcasts I’ve recently published.
- 10 Steps to Building a Big MLM Downline
- My Results of Sponsoring 50 People
- Being Busy vs. Being Productive
# 7 This Week’s Wisdom
My mentor is a MLM Millionaire MANY times over. Do you want to know what his # 1 tip is that he tells me? Here it is. GET A JOB! That’s right. Get a job or primary income source and build your network marketing business part-time, on nights and weekends.
If you expect your MLM Business, or any new business for that matter, to provide you enough income to live off during the first few years, you will STARVE TO DEATH!
You need a day job to pay your bills and have a little money left over to invest in your business. No new business is designed to provide enough immediate cash flow to live off! It takes time.
If you are in dire financial straits, get a job! That will save you tons of headaches and frustration.
This not an affiliate link. I am posting a link to the Mastermind Event because I will be attending. It’s a generic training event for network marketers. It takes place in Orlando, FL in November 2015. I will be in attendance. If you are going and would like to meet up with me, just so we can get to know each other, send me an email and we can set something up. I always like meeting other network marketing professionals. Learn more.
# 9 Book of the Week
This week’s book of the week is called “Best Worst First: 75 Network Marketing Experts on Everything You Need to Know to Build the Business of Your Dreams” by Margie Aliprandi. This book interviews 75 top earners in our industry and each one of them shares their best tip, their worst mistake, and the first thing they recommend. It’s a must read book. Order a copy.
# 10 Quote of the Week
The quote of the week this week by Og Mandino, one of my favorite authors of all time. Here it is: “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.”
# 11 Seven Tips to Get More Leads
Here are seven simple things you can do to get more leads for your business.
- Attend local events and network with the vendors
- Join a local networking group to meet new people
- Talk to several local business owners about putting your fliers or business cards in their business
- Set up a blog
- Publish a video on Facebook and YouTube every day
- Become an expert in your niche (i.e. health and wellness)
- Learn how to get more referrals
# 12 Closing Thoughts
I hope you have enjoyed this week’s edition of Chuck’s MLM Weekly Wisdom. If you have questions or need help with anything feel free to give me a call or send me an email. Have a great week!
Articles You Might Enjoy
Chuck HolmesWebmaster, OnlineMLMCommunity.com
Phone: (352) 503-4816
Here's what you should do right now:
# 1 Sign Up for My FREE 7-Day MLM Bootcamp
# 2 Check Out These Awesome Tools and Resources
# 3 Join My Free Facebook MLM Mastermind Team