Today, I’m going to take a few minutes to discuss the Amway SA-8 laundry detergent.
My mom used Amway’s SA-8 laundry detergent for nearly 30-years. She absolutely loved the stuff. As a child, I remember helping my mom do the laundry. She told me to simply add one small cap full of detergent to the load. I followed her instructions and never thought much about it. In fact, I never even realized that she used the Amway SA-8 laundry detergent until many years later.
I joined Amway in 2002. During my 2.5 years with Amway I used the SA-8 laundry detergent religiously. I loved that it was concentrated and did a great job cleaning my clothes. My laundry always smelled fresh and clean. Even better, as a bachelor one bottle lasted me more than a year!
I don’t use the Amway SA-8 laundry detergent anymore (my wife grew up with Tide and she does the laundry), but I enjoyed it while I used it. If you are looking for a high quality laundry detergent, it might just be what you are looking for. I would definitely recommend it to others.
Here are a few details about Amway’s SA-8 laundry detergent.
- The suggested retail price is $41.00 for a 6.6 lb pound box (as of February 2020).
- It comes in liquid or powder format.
- One box (powder) does 99 loads.
- That equates to approximately 41 cents per load (excluding shipping and tax).
- You can get a discount on it if you become a distributor or shop around.
Here’s a few other things I learned about it from the official Amway website.
- Rinses away with no residue, even in cold water.
- Recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Safer Choice Program for containing safer ingredients that don’t sacrifice quality or performance.
- Safe and effective in all washers, even HE (high efficiency).
- Biodegradable formula.
- No phosphates, chlorine or other unpleasant ingredients, so it’s safer for the environment.
- Concentrated, so less is more.
- Dermatologist and allergy tested.
Prior to using the Amway SA-8 detergent you are encouraged to do an “empty wash” with your washing machine. You use a couple scoops, put the temperature on high and select full/large load on your washing machine. This will clean out your washing machine from all the build up, dirt and grind. Once your washing machine is cleaned, you can do laundry whenever you want to.
Amway SA-8 Ingredients
Here is a summary of the ingredients I got off a box of SA-8.
- Sodium Carbonate (washing soda)
- Pareth-25-7 (non-ionic surfactant)
- Citric Acid (organic water softener)
- Fumaric Acid (dispersant)
- Hydrated Silica (absorbent mineral)
- Cellulose Gum (anti-redeposition agent)
- Amylase (starch stain remover)
- Fluorescent Brightener (Distyryl Biphenyl Derivative) (fabric brightener)
- Sodium Carbonate
- Citric Acid
- Fumaric Acid
- Hydrated Silica
- Cellulose Gum
***** I’m not sure if this is a comprehensive list of ingredients or not.
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
- Top 10 Facts from the 1979 FTC vs. Amway Case
- Lessons from Amway: 10 Key Takeaways
- The Top 20 Amway Products of All Time
Just to make this post interesting, I’m going to compare it to three competitors on Amazon. I’ll compare it with other reputable, natural laundry detergents.
- Persil Pro Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent: 110 loads sell for $22.99 (21 cents per load)
- Biokleen Natural Laundry Detergent: 300 loads sell for $26.99 (9 cents per load)
- Nellies Laundry Soda: 100 loads sell for $18.04 (18 cents per load)
*** This comparison was done on January 31, 2020.
Additionally, I did some comparison shopping on Walmart.com and found that a bottle of Tide (96 loads) sells for $17.97 with free shipping. That equates to almost 19 cents per load, which is about 22 cents per load cheaper than the SA-8 detergent. So if you are on a budget, Tide might be the best route.
Once again I would like to chime in and tell you that you get a discount on the SA-8 if you become a distributor or do some price shopping. I’m not sure how much cheaper you can get it for, but I think the price would be very comparable with Tide after the discount (note: I am not a distributor, nor am I affiliated with Amway).
What Others Are Saying
I scoured the internet to see what other people are saying about the Amway SA-8 laundry detergent. Here are two helpful reviews I found.
I like saving money, but I also like having clean clothing and healthy skin. Unfortunately much of the detergent commonly on sale at the supermarket, though budget-friendly, irritates the living daylights out of my sensitive skin. I decided to try the Amway SA8 detergent after hearing good things from coworkers – who also have sensitive skin along with some family members. At first I balked at the price of the detergent a bit – it is considerably more expensive than your average All or Tide detergent. However, the large size of Amway detergent lasts a long time! You don’t use very much product per load, especially in my case as I have a smaller, stackable washer/dryer unit in my apartment. There is some scent to the “light” detergent – not much – but it’s there. It does not irritate my skin like most scented detergents. I have also tried the accompanying “delicate” wash and fabric softener and was impressed with those as well. ~ Source: Viewpoints
I am very new to this but I was looking over your reviews for SA8 and wanted to add my own. As stated by Jo, I have a large family. I am the mother of 9, currently 7 in home, and I have mounds of laundry that I do per week. SA8, now Legacy of Clean SA8, is the best laundry detergent I have used ever!!!!!
I was a Tide fan for years until I stumbled upon a Consumer Report about SA8 that stated it had received their highest rating for cleaning, stain removal and cost. At the time I was living not far from the warehouse and was able to pick up myself.
This detergent has made my life so much easier as it does less damage to my family’s clothes so they last longer and still stay looking clean. I would recommend Legacy of Clean SA8 to any and everyone. Thanks you for allowing me to share. ~ Source: Stain Removal 101
Speaking from personal experience, I do believe the Amway SA-8 is a very high quality laundry detergent at an affordable price. I will be the the first to admit that there are cheaper things in the marketplace, but I think the SA-8 offers a good value.
What are your thoughts? I would love to hear your testimonials and stories about why you like or dislike the Amway SA-8 laundry detergent. Please leave a comment to share your thoughts.
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Amway. Amway is a registered trademark. Any views in this post are simply my opinion.