Amway Eagle Qualification and Tips: My Experience

As I mentioned earlier on this site, I am a former Amway distributor and was once affiliated with the World Wide Dream Builders.

This was a AMO or Motivational Organization within Amway, sometimes referred to as a line of sponsorship.

During my two and a half years in the company, I achieved the status of Eagle.

At that time (2003) an Eagle was someone who had six legs earning a bonus check of 100 PV or more.

Additionally, you had to have five legs on standing order tape and 3 legs attending functions.

To reach the status of Eagle, I sponsored 13 people and had 67 people in my group.

I consistently maintained 2500-3800 PV for about a year.

That was at the peak of my Amway business.

Sadly, my business started to collapse and people ended up leaving the business as quickly as I could put them into the business.

Looking back, I’m proud of my achievements with Amway, but I would have done things a little bit differently, knowing what I know now.

Hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes.

If you are at the 2,500 PV Pin or are an Eagle, here are a few things I recommend to you.

1) Sponsor 6-12 New Distributors Immediately: One of the best things you can do is go out and build new groups.

Don’t abandon the distributors you have now, but realize that you won’t hit your goals in Amway with your current group.

If you sponsor another 6-12 distributors personally, you should find two or three serious distributors to work with.

These new distributors will held build momentum and growth in your business.

As I see it, you never want more than half your volume coming from one leg.

2) Work in Depth as Quickly as Possible: The sooner you can start working in depth in your Amway business, the better off you will be.

This lets you work smart and leverage other people’s contacts.

Try to drive each leg at least 10 levels deep as quickly as possible.

As you do this, you will find more leaders in depth and you will find people you can work with personally.

Personally, I’d rather have six legs that are each 10 levels deep, than have 60 personally sponsored people.

Width makes you profitable, but depth gives you added security.

mark yarnell meme3) Get More Retail Customers: One of the best things you can with your Amway business is to get an additional 5-10 personal retail customers as quickly as possible.

EVERY business needs customers.

Every rep should maintain at least 10 customers who order every single month before they go out and try to sponsor a bunch of people (just my two cents).

This will boost your PV total and help you increase your monthly bonus check.

I also recommend you teach your group how to do the same thing.

Retailing might not be sexy, but it is important.

4) Watch Your Business Cash Flow: While the tools and functions can be helpful, you really need to watch your cash flow for your business.

Don’t spend all your profits on business tools.

Don’t spend all your profits buying unneeded inventory or trying to “buy” your next rank.

Track your income and expenses each month so you can keep your Amway business profitable, right from the beginning.

All entrepreneurs have a responsibility to manage their business finances.

I think these four tips will help any Amway distributor advance from the 2,500 PV Pin level up to the Diamond level and higher, if they stick with for the long haul.

Here’s one final tip.

Remember that the ONLY two activities that grow your business are RETAILING and RECRUITING.

Spend 90% or more of your business hours on those two activities and you will make money.

Don’t confuse training, going to events, and going to meetings with growing your business.

As Michael Gerber says “work on your business, not in it.”

On a side note, I would love to hear from other current and former Eagles involved in the Amway business.

I’d like to know what line of sponsorship you are affiliated with, what your “Eagle” requirements are, and what you had to personally do reach that level.

Just leave a comment to this post to share the information with the rest of our community.

Disclaimer: Amway is a registered trademark.  Here is a link to their corporate site.  I am in no way affiliated with the company.   This article is just my opinion.

39 thoughts on “Amway Eagle Qualification and Tips: My Experience

1. Karye

What is a tool? I often tell my husband that we spen $100/ monthly for our Communikate digital delivery and Wednesday.com site, and that I don’t see why they say I can’t go eagle without it.

I have a question. When it comes to gaining or getting customers, is it wise to offer free trials to a select few to boost this? I know a lot of people who do this and while some go great, other’s end up getting backfire because of it. Then there are people who have family and friends work for them for free just to boost appeal. I am not sure about any of this.

I don’t believe in free trials. I feel that it typically attracts the freebie seekers. Most products come with a money back guarantee so there is no real risk anyway.

3. mony

Hi , very good piece of information.
    I started new, my upline put two people under me who were sponsor ed by them.
    Yesterday I sponsored a person and he put that person under one of the person and not directly under me.
    I wanted him to be my second leg.
    Does that mask difference??
    Will I still get benefited??

You get paid on multiple levels on Amway. What you need to do now is go out and build up your customer base and sponsor another 10-20 reps as quickly as possible (1 to 3 months). Good luck!

1. mony

Thanks chuck.
        What would be a wise decision, to develop six legs parallel parallelly ? Or one leg at a time.
        How to develop customers? Itried my family n frnds but didn’t work out more.
        Is there any way to develop customer s online?
        Regards, monica

I would build one leg at at time myself. You get customers by leading with the products, not the business. If I was looking to build customers online, I would make educational videos on YouTube about the different products, without saying the name of the company or the name of the products.

4. Manas

Dear Chuk,

I am new to this Amway business. Kindly guide me step by step, with a goal of achieving Eagle qualification with in 3 months of time. Please provide me exactly a game plan. I understand to make a watch on the cash flow in the business rather than spending too much money on tools. The knowledge that I need to know is the find the game plan for a new distributor to achieve Eagle in 3 months of time. Please help me.

Regards.. Manas

To go Eagle in 90 days you will probably need to personally sponsor 12 people. To sponsor 12 people you will probably need to do 60 presentations. To do 60 presentations you will probably need to contact 300 people. To do that in 90 days, you will need to contact about 3.5 to 4 people per day. I hope that helps.

5. Joe

Hi,
    Just a question, when i become succesful and upline finds out that ive been teaching my group not to but tools and limit function attendance, what is the worst thing upline can do to me?

1. Sil Camtedac

Hi Chuck,

I just got in to the business. Can you please elaborate on how my upline can force me out? What can I do about it? Doesn’t Amway have any safeguards about this?

Thanks!

-Sil

6. Dharmik

Hi Chuck,

Very nice piece of information. I have just got into this business, nothing i have bought Amway stuff nor i have tried making my downline. I just want to ask you one thing, that is it really worth putting time or money after this as i dont come from sales or business background and i dont know anything about these amway products. What kind of mindset i should be having to take the first step into this ?

Thanks,
    Dharmik

If I was to build an Amway business all over again, I would just focus on getting 10-50 retail customers and not spend any money on the systems (tapes, books, functions, etc.). Just my thoughts. By having a small customer base you can make a nice profit and earn enough to pay for your purchases and then some. Once you have a good customer base, you can look for a few business builders so you can leverage yourself.

Once again, this is just my thoughts. My only real advice is to trust your gut instinct. It is seldom wrong.

I totally agree with your response here Chuck. The number one way to make an income in Amway, or any other MLM is with retail customers. Systems can help, but a person needs to watch those expenses closely. This website can help a person just as much as many of those tapes and systems, and it is free.

Just like any business, you must watch expenses compared to profits. The other key is to not forget to have fun.

Good response Chuck.

Retailing is the fastest way to make money, but you should also be recruiting distributors and building your network at the same time. Everyone should have at least five to twenty customers.

I got into Amway about 25 years ago. I signed up through a former college roommate of my husband’s, and then never heard from or saw the guy again. I was young and had no idea what I was doing. I did not know where to turn to for help or advice with selling, and ended my relationship with the company in just a couple of months (as soon as I had gotten rid of the items in my first order). I am sure that things have changed, because the company would not still be in business if it were not.

Things turned out for the best, though. I get to work from home now anyway, doing something in my field of expertise.

8. Samantha Alcaide

Hello,

My name is Samantha, just read your notes and I have to say that this is very helpful. Ive always agreed with not buying so many tools. I am only 21 and this is my first month in the business.. I havent sponsored anyone yet, but I hit 300 PV and have made $265 retail profit this month. I could definitely see where people could go overboard in buying tools and losing money.. this is something I worry about when getting more and more successful in the business. Its an amazing opportunity and I would recommend this business to anyone who looking, but to anyone looking, PLEASE listen to these comments. Watch your cash flow or your business will be at a standstill.

You don’t ever have to buy tools. Rather than trying to sponsor a bunch of people, just focus on getting customers until you make at least $1000 per month. Some of your customers will upgrade and become a distributor just to get a discount. Once you start sponsoring people, your upline will go around you and start selling tools to your downline, because that’s where they make most of their money. And then they can force you out of the business for not buying the tools. It happens all the time. Just focus on getting sales and avoid the tools. Do that and you will make money with Amway.

9. Larry

My parents were Double Eagles in Amway when they decided to get done. They had sponsored 23 people and had 225 people on their team. Of that, they were at 8000 PV and were in Platinum Qualification. They had 15 legs getting a bonus check, 10 legs at functions and 14 legs on Standing Order Tape. The problem was, even with a team that big, they still have negative cash flow. They weren’t making any money. The tools were cleaning out all their profits. They figured if they couldn’t make money at that level, their team wouldn’t make any money either.

Good points, Larry. I’ve read about many Emeralds who still have a negative cash flow and lost money in their Amway business every year because of all the money they spent on the tools and functions. That is my biggest gripe with Amway and that is why I got done with the business. Without the tools business, Amway would be a great business opportunity!

10. Will

My dad is an Eagle in the business. I’m one of his six legs. I’m currently at 1,000 PV and my dad is at 2500 PV. We’ve only been in the business a few months, but we are seeing tremendous growth. The CDs and training are great. I get the motivation and training I need to succeed.

Good for you, Will. It sounds as if you and your dad are really rocking the Amway business. I’m glad you like the tools and training. My only bit of advice is to watch your cash flow like a hawk. Get a few customers, keep sponsoring, and don’t spend ALL your business profits on the tools. If you need tools, you can get them online for a much cheaper price, and better quality.

11. Jerry

I went Eagle my first month in the business. I sponsored 13 people and had six people doing 100 PV or higher, six legs on SOT and six legs at functions. Unfortunately, I never even reached Platinum. Most of the folks I sponsored ended up quitting within 90 days.

Jerry,

Good for you for taking action in your Amway business and reaching the Eagle level. It’s true that most people will quit in their first 90 days. You have to be a sponsoring machine and continuously bring new people into your business if you want to stay at that level. And you have to work in depth constantly and drive each leg of your organization very deep. Good luck!

12. Amy

I think the Eagle program is a scam designed to make the diamonds rich. Most Eagles still have negative cash flow in their business. Without the tools, they could make a very nice profit with that many people on their team. The tools really are a scam.

Amy

13. Rachel

Here are the qualifications I found online about it.

Signed Counsel Sheet to Upline Diamond
    300 PV personal use/retail for couples, 200 PV personal use/retail for singles
    6-5-3 (PB/SO/MF) – Explained below
    6 legs at 100 PV or higher
    5 legs on standing order
    3 legs attending major functions

I hope that helps.

Rachel

14. Chris

I never made it to the Eagle level. But boy did I try hard. I sponsored 12 people, but simply couldn’t get people to buy the tools or attend functions. The most I ever had was three legs above 100 PV. Most of the folks who signed up did absolutely nothing with the business. Looking back, it was very frustrating. Although I am no longer affiliated with Amway, I often wonder what would have happened if I had stuck around and kept building a business.

Chris

Good for you for doing your best, Chris. Sometimes we have goals and dreams, but come up short. Hopefully, you can learn from the experience and have success in your next venture.

15. Mark

I was an Eagle in the Britt World Wide Organization in 2007. I had 15 people personally sponsored, 8 legs over 100 PV, 8 legs on Standing Order Tape and 6 legs going to functions. I was doing almost 5,000 PV, but even at that point my business wasn’t profitable. I decided to stop using the tools and systems altogether. I’m still in Amway today and I haven’t used any systems or tools in almost six full years. I’m still doing about 4,000 PV a month and I make almost $1500 net profit per month in my Amway business. When you don’t have all the tools, functions and business support materials to pay for, it’s pretty easy to build a profitable Amway business.

Mark

Good for you, Mark. There is a lot of money to be made in Amway if you avoid buying the tools. The tools make the Diamonds and top distributors rich and suck away the profits and cash flow of everyone beneath them. Back in the day, before the tools came around, most people were building their Amway business the way you are doing it now. And a lot of folks were making a nice side business income, just like you are. Keep up the good work and make sure your upline doesn’t try to raid your downline and sell them the tools!

Charles, I am just curious to learn about you more business wise. I note you mentioned something about yourself in this post. How did you enjoy your time with this company? What lessons did you learn being a member of this company? How did what you learn help you in future endeavors? Would you recommend becoming a member of this organization to others?

I learned a lot about business during my time in Amway, Diamond. I was an Eagle and I was VERY serious about the business. The biggest takeaways I got were:

1. The power of having written goals
      2. The power of associating with people who have what you want
      3. The power of personal development

I also learned a lot about sales, marketing, cash flow management and general business. I’ve taken all those skills and implemented them into my other businesses, which turned out very successful.

Spending a year or two in Amway is great business school. Some people will argue with that, but I have to tell you that I learned more about business during my time in Amway than I ever learned in my college (graduate) studies.

Just food for thought.